A new short course taking your idea to impact
Have an idea that could change the world? Want to create sustainable solutions for the issues in your community or sector?
CQUniversity and impact-led business Impact Boom are collaborating to offer iActivate – a self-paced, ultra-flexible and affordable online short course, to guide aspiring and early-stage social entrepreneurs from idea to impact.
Build your skills, reputation and reach in the social enterprise sector, and enrol in iActivate now.
Thanks to CQUniversity’s Regional Social Enterprise Activation Program, funded by the Queensland Government’s Social Enterprise Sector Development Grants, iActivate will be free to participants within social enterprise cohort accelerators in four regional centres across 2022/23.
If you live or work in Rockhampton or the Darling Downs, register your interest today.
iActivate - Design and Grow Business for Good is a first for Australia, an online social enterprise course developed by a University and an industry leader offering a digital badge.
Hosted on CQU’s Centre for Professional Development platform, the 12-module course content is curated to give students clear and actionable steps in defining goals and impacts, understanding business for good ecosystems, applying sustainable and innovative business models, prototyping a social enterprise startup, pitching and storytelling, collaborating, scaling and measuring impacts.
The content builds on Impact Boom’s successful Elevate+ Accelerator Program for emerging social entrepreneurs, and CQUniversity’s range of social innovation courses and initiatives, from entry-level to postgraduate, that have kickstarted thousands of changemaker journeys for students since 2015.
Module 1: Welcome to Program. Setting ourselves up for success.
Gain a clear understanding of the program, fundamental traits of successful entrepreneurs and useful strategies to practice throughout Elevate+ as we work to scale your enterprise and impact.
Module 2: Purpose, Vision, Impact. Project Management and Effective teams.
Clearly defining our ‘why’, desired impacts, roles, teamwork theory and other frameworks that will drive our startup projects from the core.
Module 3: Understanding root causes and solving the right problem.
Gain a clear grasp of important Design Thinking, Co-Design & Systems Thinking strategies to understand, redefine and respond to the right problems from the beginning, so you don't waste time later.
Module 4: Game-changing business modelling and value proposition design.
Understanding and designing innovative business models is crucial to a social entrepreneur’s success. We learn how to best deliver value to your customers and stakeholders.
Module 5: Creativity jam! Conceptualisation and ideation to create new, sustainable possibilities.
Learn innovative methods to create world-changing solutions through strategic design. Analyse, expand on and improve the way you are delivering value.
Module 6: Purposeful prototyping and pilots.
Learn quick, iterative and effective prototyping and piloting methods to validate concepts with your target audience. Throw away assumptions and respond to customer and stakeholder needs effectively.
Module 7: Impact marketing and branding strategy.
Learn key tools to understand the market in which you operate. Define a personal and enterprise brand strategy. Understand social media and other marketing methods to create a trusted brand.
Module 8: Financing projects and getting them off the ground.
Understand the best financing methods to fund your project and learn from leading investors. Get effective crowdfunding tips and learn how to become impact investment ready.
Module 9: Powerful pitching and storytelling secrets.
Learn the art of storytelling to capture, engage and influence an audience. Receive and practice pitching secrets to successfully sell your project.
Module 10: Key legal considerations for social entrepreneurs.
Gain a clear understanding about how to best protect your Intellectual Property. Understand legals and get contracts right. We'll talk business structures, tax and what’s best for your social enterprise.
Module 11: Understanding the eco system, and Leading social enterprises.
Get h3 insights from organisations, support bodies & leading global social entrepreneurs. Hear success and failure stories to keep you on track. Mix and network with local social entrepreneur leaders.
Module 12: Creating tracks and moving forward with impact.
Methods and tools to keep entrepreneurs on track to delivering viable enterprises that deliver impact. Impact measurement and metrics. Reflection and clear planning to move forward.
- Define the rationale of running a business for good, desired impacts, roles, teamwork theory and other frameworks that will drive a startup or existing project from the core
- Outline the elements of Design Thinking, Co-Design, and Systems Thinking strategies to understand, redefine and respond to the right problems
- Reflect on innovative business models and why these are crucial to a social entrepreneur’s success, including how to best deliver value to customers and stakeholders
- Identify key tools to understand the market in which businesses for good operate, define a personal and enterprise brand strategy, and understand social media and other marketing methods to create a trusted brand
- Identify how to protect Intellectual Property, and understand legal and taxation implications.
Assessment: Online Quizzes
Duration: 72 hours
CPD Hours: 72 hours
Intakes: Enrolments are taken throughout the year on a continuous basis.
Study Mode: Online
Outcomes, Career Opportunities and Occupations: Students will be better able to effectively manage their business for good, be able to pitch potential new projects to employers, funders and partners, and pursue a career with other social enterprises and businesses for good.
Course Enquiries: CPD-Enquiries@cqu.edu.au
In order to facilitate your enrolment in this exciting new course, you’ll need to:
- Register with CQUniversity’s Centre for Professional Development (CPD), this is a simple process and you’ll be asked to provide a valid email to confirm your registration (alternatively, you can also sign in with your existing Google or Microsoft Account)
- Once your registration is successful and you’ve logged in, you’ll be presented with the CPD homepage, scroll down and click on Enterprise Education
- Scroll through the course information and click on Enrol Now, you should now be presented with a Paypal sign and the option to Click here for Secure Payment Gateway
- You’ll be redirected to CQU’s PayPal page, enter your payment details and click pay now
- Once your payment is successful you will be redirected back to the iActivate page and you’ll be able to access the full course content – good luck and enjoy your learning!