Victoria Region Engagement Committee
The Victorian REC formed in early 2017.
- Committee members have had an induction to the University through a presentation by the AVC on the composition of the Victorian region as well as an overview of the University’s broad spread and values.
Student Volunteering Opportunities
- Volunteering Victoria was successful in winning a Victorian State Government contract to develop a model for involving international students in volunteering opportunities. This collaboration involves both Sue Noble and Judith Uren from the Committee, and CQUniversity will be one of the small number of universities in Victoria included in the pilot program.
Social Innovation Opportunities
- The Office of Social Innovation presented the Studio model to the REC, and opportunities for a Victorian Studio have been discussed, and may be considered again once the Committee meets again.
Future Focus Areas
Finding points of commonality across the REC
- A number of REC members have noted their concern that with such a diverse cohort of committee members it is difficult to utilise meeting times effectively to focus on issues of common interest and knowledge.
- Some committee members have expressed their preference to meet with the AVC on a regular basis to discuss issues that are of particular relevance to the region, and in which they have expertise.
- The Chair and Deputy Chair will meet in early-October prior to the next scheduled meeting to discuss how best to focus the efforts of the Committee.
- It should be noted that two consecutive REC meetings in 2017 have been cancelled due to an inability to achieve quorum.
- Early discussions are underway between the Chair and AVC regarding opportunities to leverage alumni in the region to provide greater employment, internship, and mentoring support to current CQUniversity students.
Ms Sue Noble (Chair)
Senior Executive - IPAA (Institute of Public Administration Australia) Victoria
Ms Lara Carton (Deputy Chair)
Associate Vice-Chancellor (Victoria) & Director Social Innovation - CQUniversity
Mr Peter Bolling (Secretary)
Campus Services Administrator - CQUniversity
Mr Bill Hamill
CEO - Rural Skills Industry Training
Mr Dean Griggs
Manager Community Safety and Wellbeing - City of Melbourne
Mr Lou Leo
Deputy Regional Director – Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet
Ms Joy Acquaro
Principal – Atticus Legal
Mr Vishan Vijayan
CQUni Alumnus, Solutions Officer – ANZ Bank