Australian and International Data Portals
There are a number of data portals they that may be of interest in to CQUniversity Research community. These include the following:
Australian data portals
- Australian Government - data.gov.au
- Queensland Government - data.qld.gov.au
- Research Data Australia - researchdata.ands.org.au
- Australian Data Archive (ADA) - https://www.ada.edu.au/
International data portals
Australian Government - data.gov.au
Data.gov.au provides an easy way to find, access and reuse public datasets from the Australian Government.
- http://data.gov.au/dataset - as of December 2014, 5219 datasets can be found
- http://nationalmap.nicta.com.au/ - provides a National Map
For example, a search of Rockhampton shows the following datasets
- Rockhampton - This series of maps covers the whole of Australia at a scale of 1:250 000 (1cm on a map represents 2.5km on the ground) and comprises 513 maps. This is the largest scale at... ZIPKMLshp
AUSGeoid98 v.1.0 data files: Rockhampton (sf56-13) - AUSGeoid98 data files contain a 2 minute grid of AUSGeoid98 data covering the Australian region, which you can use to interpolate geoid-ellipsoid separations for the positions... ZIP
Research Data Australia - researchdata.ands.org.au
Research Data Australia, the flagship service of the Australian National Data Service (ANDS), provides a comprehensive window into the Australian Research Data Commons.
Research Data Australia is an Internet-based discovery service designed to provide rich connections between data, projects, researchers and institutions, and promote visibility of Australian research data collections in search engines.
ANDS is partnering with research institutions and data producing agencies to bring about four transformations to data - unmanaged to managed, disconnected to connected, invisible to findable and single use to reusable - that will enable Australia's research data to become a national strategic resource to support better, more efficient and defensible research, and improved policy input.
ANDS is funded by the Australian Government through the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS).
What’s in Research Data Australia (As of December 2014)
- Collections (107465) - Research datasets or collections of research materials.
- Services (404) - Services that support the creation or use of research datasets or collections.
- Parties (27411) - Researchers or research organisations that create or maintain research datasets or collections.
- Activities (43000) - Projects or programs that create research datasets or collections.
Australian Data Archive (ADA) - https://www.ada.edu.au/
The Australian Data Archive (ADA) provides a national service for the collection and preservation of digital research data and to make these data available for secondary analysis by academic researchers and other users.
The ADA is comprised of seven sub-archives:
- ADA Social Science
- ADA Historical
- ADA Indigenous
- ADA Longitudinal
- ADA Qualitative
- ADA Crime & Justice
- ADA International
The archive is provided by a consortium of leading national Australian universities, managed by the Australian National University (ANU) and including nodes around Australia, at the University of Melbourne, University of Queensland, University of Technology Sydney and University of Western Australia.