Hail Creek Mine CQUniversity Scholarship
Five Scholarships valued at $4000 for Mackay / Whitsundays for first year students in a range of disciplines. Students should be enrolling to enter the first year of study in one of the following disciplines; Science, Engineering, Business, Health and Medical Science (inc Nursing) or Information Technology, on the Mackay campus. The Scholarship is offered over 2 years at $2000 per year, and continuation is dependant on successful acheivement of a GPA of 5 or above. The scholarship aims to encourage local residents to pursue a degree program at CQUniversity Mackay to support community to increase professional skills and obtain formal qualifications.
Scholarship Value: $4,000 ($2,000/Year)
Length of Scholarship: 2 years
Number Available: 5
Opening Date: 01 January 2016
Closing Date: 26 May 2017
|Study Level||Associate Degree; Bachelor; Undergraduate|
|Year of Study||Future/First Year|
|Citizenship||Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident|
|Ethnicity||Aboriginal; South Sea Islander; Torres Strait Islander|
|Study Load||Full time|
- Be continuously enrolled as a full time student at the University (studying and three or four subjects) per semester in both the 1st and 2nd year of a Bachelor or Associate Degree qualification within the disciplines of Science, Engineering, Business, Nursing, Information Technology or Secondary Education (in the specialist areas of maths and/or science ) at the University’s Mackay campus
- Continuing eligibility will be dependent upon successful achievement of a Grade Point Average (GPA) of all subjects of five (5) or above at the completion of semester one in both first and second years studying full time, being three or more subjects or eighteen to twenty four credit points.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- Primary residence the year prior (commencing on or before 1st January 2016) has been in the Mackay Whitsunday Region
- Must currently reside within the Mackay Whitsunday region and will be residing in that region during the duration of the scholarship, unless enrolled in a program that requires the second year of study to be undertaken at the University’s Rockhampton Campus.
- Not hold another scholarship of equivalent or more substantial benefit.
- Selection of the scholar will be based on the ability to succeed, including academic history and work experience, communication skills, relevant interests and career aspirations on graduation and in the longer term for their chosen discipline/degree.
Five (5) scholarships will be made available for first year students seeking to enrol (and subsequently enrolling) at the University’s Mackay campus in any one of the following disciplines:
- Health and medical science, or
- Information Technology
- Secondary Education (in the specialist areas of maths and/or science)
Selection will be based on merit using the following criteria:
- Academic history and work experience
- Leadership and motivation as demonstrated by the candidate’s contribution to the community and school;
- Evidence of an ability to set and achieve personal and career goals
- 1. The scholarship is tenable for two (2) years
- 2. The scholarship must be taken in the year for which it was awarded
- 3. The successful applicants shall continue to fulfil the relevant eligibility criteria listed above for the duration of the scholarship, unless varied in agreement with the Chairperson of the Selection Committee
- 4. The successful applicants will not be required by Hail Creek Mine (or the University) to undertake employment as a condition of award of the scholarship
- 5. Participate as a Hail Creek Mine/CQUniversity Student Ambassador by attending functions as directed by Hail Creek Mine and in attending same, promoting Hail Creek Mine and/or the University at such functions which may include but are not limited to such things as community events and the CQUniversity Open Day.
Payment of the Scholarship
Each scholarship has a value of $4000 payable as $2000 after June 30 2017 following presentation to the Chairperson of the “Selection Committee (the Committee)” of academic results with the achievement of a Grade Point Average (GPA) of all subjects of five (5) or above during semester one studying full time, being three or more subjects or eighteen to twenty four credit points. The second payment of $2000 will take place in the second year of study, after June 30 2018, following presentation to the Committee of academic results with the achievement of a Grade Point Average (GPA) of all subjects of five (5) or above during semester one of Year 2 of studying full time, being three or more subjects or eighteen to twenty four credit points for that term of study.
The benefits must be used by the Scholarship holder for one or more of the following purposes:
- up front payment of HECS liability;
- purchase of books or other resources or equipment relevant and appropriate to the student’s University course;
- payment of University or residential college costs.
- Your resume
- Copies of your school reports from Years 11 & 12 or other certificates
- A personal or work reference
- Any other information you think will support this application (3 pages max)
- Read the Hail Creek Mine CQUniversity Scholarship Programme Information for Applicants
- Complete the Hail Creek Mine CQUniversity Scholarship Application Form
- Post the completed application form to:
or deliver to the Hail Creek Coal Mackay Office, located at 25 - 29 Evans Ave, North Mackay.
Applications should be received no later than 4.00pm on Friday 26th May 2017
How will I know the outcome of my application?
A selection committee comprising representatives of the Hail Creek Mine, CQUniversity and the Mackay Whitsunday community will consider all applications received by the closing date. Final selection will involve the applicant participating in an interview, which will be conducted at CQUniversity in the week commencing 10th June 2017. Decisions reached by the selection committee are final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the allocation of scholarships following the announcement of the award each year.
Hail Creek Mine
Hail Creek Mine has formed a strategic partnership with CQUniversity Mackay Campus in an effort to encourage local people to increase their professional skills and obtain formal qualifications to counter the skills shortage in the Mackay Whitsunday region.