Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships
The Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships Program assists Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students from low socio-economic backgrounds, particularly those from rural and regional areas, with costs associated with higher education.
Scholarship Value: up to $5276 per year
Length of Scholarship: duration varies for each scholarship
Number Available: 50+
Opening Date: 29 May 2017
Closing Date: 14 July 2017
|Study Level||Enabling Program; Undergraduate; Postgraduate (Course work)|
|Year of Study||Future/First Year; Continuing (2nd year or greater)|
|Ethnicity||Aboriginal; Torres Strait Islander|
|Study Mode||All modes|
|Study Load||Full time|
Award of a Commonwealth Scholarship in on the basis that the applicant meets the Indigenous Student Assistance Grants Guidelines 2017.
To be eligible for an Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship applicants:
- must be an Australian citizen;
- must identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- must be from a remote or regional area
- must be enrolled in an undergraduate program, associate degree, eligible enabling program, or enrolled in a postgraduate program in an area of National Priority required for initial registration to practice in the chosen National Priority;
- must be a Commonwealth supported student at CQUniversity;
- must be undertaking a full-time study load unless there are exceptional circumstances that prevent you from studying full-time;
- must be in receipt of a Centrelink benefit or can demonstrate low personal/family income;
- must not have already completed the requirements of a course of study (with any provider) regarded to be equivalent to or higher than a bachelor's award, unless such award is a prerequisite to your current undergraduate course of study; and
- * can NOT be awarded an Indigenous Enabling CAS or an Indigenous CAS if they are in receipt of a Centrelink Relocation Scholarship or Residential Costs Option
- * can NOT be awarded an Indigenous Education Costs or Indigenous Enabling Education Costs
Scholarship if they are in receipt of a Centrelink Start-Up Scholarship
More detailed eligibility information can be found via the above guidelines.
Applicants will be assessed on their completed applications and supporting evidence to demonstrate low personal/family income. Academic progress will be taken into consideration for those applicants who are continuing CQUniversity students.
The Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship Program comprises of two main categories:
- Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarships (CECS) which assists students with education costs; and
- Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarships (CAS) which assists students who relocate to study with the costs of accommodation.
These two categories are then broken down into four (4) scholarships:
- Indigenous Enabling CECS – for students enrolled in enabling programs (e.g. STEPS or TEP)
- Indigenous Enabling CAS – for students enrolled in enabling programs (e.g. STEPS or TEP)
- Indigenous CECS – for students enrolled in undergraduate programs
- Indigenous CAS - for students enrolled in undergraduate programs
Value of the Scholarships
Scholarship values are indexed annually. The value of Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships in 2017 are:
Duration of Scholarships
- Indigenous Enabling CECS /CAS are awarded for two terms only and can be deferred for two terms only*
- Indigenous CECS /CAS undergraduate scholarships are awarded for eight terms only and can be deferred for two terms only.
Scholarship payments will be deposited directly into the successful recipient’s personal bank account by electronic funds transfer after final enrolment checks at Census date. Applicants must ensure they have entered current banking details into My Centre for prompt payment to
occur. Payment is not instant and the applicants will appreciate that there is a large volume of payments processed during that time. Please be aware that the Student Life and Wellbeing Centre endeavours to have payments made to students as soon as possible after Census date.
When payment has been made into the nominated bank account, confirmation will be sent to your official CQUniversity student email address. There is no advance payments of scholarship money.
Possible required documents:
- Centrelink Income Statement – current (How to obtain a Centrelink Income Statement)
- 3 current payslips – including partner’s income if partnered
- Medical report or Centrelink Income Statement in relation to disability, medical condition and carer responsibilities.
- Latest Notice of Assessment (If you or your partner are in receipt of Business Income)
- Most recent Tax Return (If you or your partner are in receipt of Business Income)
- 3 months of personal bank account statements
Please note if you are under the age of 22 and not deemed "Independent" by Centrelink we will require income documents from your parent/s.
To apply for a Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship:
- Read the Scholarship Guidelines to check for eligibility and documentation needed
- Scholarships will open at 9am on Monday 29th May, 2017 and ALL applications must be submitted online by the closing date, 5pm, Friday 14th July 2017
- Providing correct supporting documentation and successfully completing all fields of the application is very important. This ensures effective and timely assessment of your application. Further information may be required to assess your application. These requests will be communicated direct to student email accounts (current students) or nominated email accounts for future prospective students who are not yet enrolled.
For Current students (applicants who already have a Student ID number), click here to apply
For Future students (applicants who have applied or are intending to apply to study at CQUniversity but not yet received or accepted an offer), click here to apply
How will I know the outcome of my application?
A selection panel, consisting of representatives from CQUniversity will meet to determine the successful applicants. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications as soon as possible after the selection panel sits.
Commonwealth Government provides a suite of Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships each year to institutions.