VET in schools (VETiS)
CQUniversity Australia is a registered training organisation and through the Vocational Education and Training in Schools (VETiS) program, offers Year 11 and 12 high school students the opportunity to study a range of vocational education and training (VET) courses as part of their Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE).
Students have the option to choose between Certificate I, II and III level courses in a wide variety of study areas.
The VETiS program provides you with the opportunity to gain:
- practical hands-on training
- valuable skills for greater employability
- credit towards a Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE)
- real trade skills and qualifications while completing high school
- a competitive edge in the employment marketplace
- credit towards further study
There are four ways to undertake a VETiS program:
- Become a school-based apprentice or trainee. For more information on school-based apprenticeships or traineeships including how to apply, please visit http://training.qld.gov.au/apprentices/sats/index.html
- Study VET courses on campus with CQUniversity. If you choose to study on campus, you will be required to attend classes at your local CQUniversity campus, your school or designated site in your region. See each course listing to find out where on-campus study options are available.
- Study VET courses online with CQUniversity. For classes with 12 or more students, additional support in the form of face-to-face or video conference tutorials may be available. As part of your online studies, you will be able to access the teaching support you need from your nearest CQUniversity campus including Biloela, Brisbane, Bundaberg, Cairns, Emerald, Gladstone, Mackay, Noosa, Rockhampton, Sydney Townsville and Yeppoon, or at any of our study hubs. Please note with some online VETiS courses you may be still required to attend workshops at your local CQUniversity campus, study centre or designated site by video conference. You will receive more information about these workshops upon enrolment.
- Study a VET course via a partnership with your school. The school forms a partnership, sometimes entering into a third party agreement with CQUniversity, enabling VET qualified high school teachers to deliver training to students at their respective schools. Specific information on partnered schools may be provided by your school VET Co-ordinator and CQUniversity representative or by making a specific enquiry via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Available VETiS qualifications that are funded by the Queensland Government’s VET investment budget are listed on the Queensland Government Department of Education and Training (DET) Training Subsidies List. As an approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO), CQUniversity delivers the VETiS qualifications on the Queensland Training subsidies list at certificate levels I and II. If you would like to access the VET investment subsidy to undertake a Certificate III qualification, as a high school student you can do so as a School-based apprentice or trainee (SAT) with CQUniversity.
Fully Subsidised VETIS Courses
CQUniversity offers the following fully subsidised certificates for 2019 as part of the VETiS program, this means that you will not be charged a student contribution fee:
AHC20416 - Certificate II in Horticulture (15 Units)
AUR20716 - Certificate II in Automotive Vocational Preparation (12 Units)
CPC10111 - Certificate I in Construction (11 Units)
HLT23215 - Certificate II in Health Support Services (12 Units)
MEM20413 - Certificate II in Engineering Pathways (12 Units)
MSL20116 - Certificate II in Sampling and Measurement (8 Units)
PMA20116 - Certificate II in Process Plant Operations (16 Units)
RII20115 - Certificate II in Resources and Infrastructure Work Preparation (9 Units)
SHB20216- Certificate II in Salon Assistant (12 Units)
SIT20116 - Certificate II in Tourism (11 Units)
SIT20316 - Certificate II in Hospitality (12 Units)
SIT20416 - Certificate II in Kitchen Operations (13 Units)
TLI21810 - Certificate II in Logistics (11 Units)
UEE22011 - Certificate II in Electrotechnology (Career Start) (13 Units)
SIS20115 - Certificate II in Sports and Recreation (13 Units)
Certificate III qualifications that are not on the employment stream remain available as full-fee paying courses. You may be eligible for a payment plan to cover some or all of the costs of your studies. For more information visit CQUniversity's Payment Plan Procedure (TAFE).
To participate in the VETiS program students must:
- have a sound achievement result in Year 10 Maths and English subjects or equivalent prior to enrolling in the program
- complete the online basic key skill builder (BKSB) pre-enrolment language and literacy (LLN) testing
- be in Year 11 or 12* to participate in most courses
- identify the VETiS program in their Senior Education and Training (SET) plan
- remain enrolled in and attend a Queensland school throughout the duration of the program
* Applicants for Year 10 students may also be considered, who meet the eligibility requirements and would like to study a course under the VETiS program. In this instance, please contact email@example.com prior to completing and submitting an application.
If you are a Queensland resident and have graduated Year 12 with a Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE), and are keen to start your studies within the next calendar year, you may be eligible to study at CQUniversity fee-free in high-priority study areas under the Certificate 3 Guarantee and User Choice programs. These programs are only applicable to predetermined courses for more details visit the Year 12 Graduate Fee-Free Training Fact Sheet or call our friendly Student Advice Team.
If you are interested in studying a VETiS course at CQUniversity, follow these steps to complete and submit your application:
- Download, print and complete this VETiS application form. Please ensure all information provided in the form is accurate and you have entered all sections in full including parental consent, school consent, Unique School Identifier (USI) and Learning Unique Identifier (LUI). If you do not have a USI number you will have to apply for one at www.usi.gov.au.
- Submit your completed application to your school VET Coordinator or Career Adviser with a copy of your birth certificate. Your School VET Coordinator, in consultation with your school principal, will complete the school approval sections on the application, confirming all details are true and correct.
- The School VET Coordinator will submit your application with a copy of your birth certificate via email to the CQUniversity VETiS team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Most VETiS courses start in February and follow the school terms. Some classroom-based courses and all online courses will have a mid-year intake.
On receipt of your application, you will be sent an email with a link to complete the pre-enrolment BKSB LLN test. You will be required to click on this link, enter your USI number and password (provided in the email) and complete the test. Please note you cannot be enrolled or commence study until this test is completed. On completion of this test, you will be enrolled into your chosen course and confirmation of enrolment will be emailed to you.
Need a hand completing your application form or for any questions call us on 13 27 86 or email email@example.com.
Basic Key Skills Builder (BKSB)
CQUniversity has implemented the Basic Key Skills Builder (BKSB) as a pre-enrolment literacy and numeracy assessment tool for all new VETiS students.
On receipt of your VETiS application, you will be emailed a link to the BKSB to complete an Initial Assessment in both Maths and English. Once completed, you will be assigned an Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) level.
The ACSF level is then used to provide you with advice around your course of study and to identify if literacy and numeracy support is required. It's important that you complete this test as you can not be enrolled into a VETiS course until the BKSB assessment has been completed in full.
CQUniversity Australia has written agreements with schools who provide third party services on our behalf. For details please open the VETiS Partnership Listing.
For courses funded by the Queensland Government please visit the Subsidised VETiS Courses tab above.