Skills for tertiary education preparatory studies (STEPS)
Skills for Tertiary Education Preparatory Studies (STEPS) is an enabling course that provides a pathway for people wishing to gain entry to and excel in higher education.
The next on campus availability of STEPS will be Term 1 2017, commencing 6 March 2017. If you are interested in keeping informed about timelines and information sessions for our 2017 STEPS courses, please register your interest with us here.
The next STEPS Information Session is on Friday, 27 January 2017. For locations and time click here.
STEPS is suitable for you if you want to undertake tertiary study and may:
- be returning to study or work after some time away
- need to meet prerequisite subjects for your desired diploma or degree
- want some additional support to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to successfully enter and undertake further study.
STEPS is designed for students who do not already hold an undergraduate qualification. If you already hold an undergraduate qualification, please contact the STEPS admin team who can advise you on possible study options.
View the STEPS brochure.
Upon successful completion of STEPS, you can apply for entry to a CQUniversity diploma or degree course through the CQUniversity direct entry process (for those courses where direct entry is available). Alternatively, you can apply through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) or other state-based university admissions centres for courses at CQUniversity or other institutions.
CQUniversity students who are currently undertaking coursework degrees can also enrol in STEPS units to upskill in certain areas. Enrolment is established on the outcome of close collaboration between the student, the student's undergraduate unit lecturer(s), the relevant STEPS access coordinator and, in some instances, the student counsellor. The student's current or planned unit load as well as the student's particular upskilling needs will be taken into consideration when establishing an individual study plan.
STEPS can be studied at:
- CQUniversity Brisbane, 160 Ann Street, Brisbane
- CQUniversity Bundaberg, University Drive, Bundaberg
- CQUniversity Cairns, Cairns Square, Corner Abbott and Shields Street, Cairns^
- CQUniversity Gladstone, Bryan Jordan Drive, Gladstone
- CQUniversity Mackay, Boundary Road, Mackay
- CQUniversity Noosa, 90 Goodchap Street, Noosaville
- CQUniversity Perth, 10 William Street, Perth (from January 2017)
- CQUniversity Rockhampton, Bruce Highway, Rockhampton
- CQUniversity Sydney, 400 Kent Street, Sydney
- CQUniversity Townsville, 538 Flinders Street, Townsville
- Geraldton Universities Centre*
STEPS can also be studied by distance education.
*The Geraldton Universities Centre supports the on-campus delivery of the CQUniversity STEPS course to students residing in Western Australia.
- Term 1 (On-campus, Distance education)
- Term 2 (On-campus, Distance education)
- Term 3 (Distance education ONLY)
For specific term dates, please see our Events and Key Dates
The course takes between one and six terms to complete, with two terms being average. Each term is approximately four months in duration. Completion time depends on the results of your diagnostic entrance assessment, the time you have available for study, and the requirements of the undergraduate course you wish to enter.
The STEPS course is FREE of tuition fees, however, there are minimal costs associated with textbooks, stationery, photocopying and printing.
For more information on the associated costs please contact the STEPS Administrative Officer on 07 4150 7149.
The STEPS course is a Centrelink approved course. You may be eligible for various forms of financial support while undertaking the course. For more information visit their website.
The STEPS course aims to provide you with the confidence, knowledge and skills needed to begin a university degree. If you do need extra support while studying STEPS, your lecturers are available to offer assistance.
You also have the support of an access coordinator and a committed team of STEPS staff who will guide you through the course. You will learn to access CQUniversity's internet-based learning systems and make contact with other STEPS students, giving you the opportunity to discuss issues and make new friends.
Find out more about CQUniversity's full range of student support.