Copyright for Students - General Information

Students often rely on using copyrighted material in assignments. For example, images or diagrams in an essay or the performance of a drama excerpt in a class drama presentation. The following questions and answers are available in the information sheet linked below.

  1. What is copyright?
  2. Who owns copyright in a student's work?
  3. What does copyright protect?
  4. How long does copyright last?
  5. When is copyright infringed?
  6. Can I download movies and music from the internet?
  7. What can a student copy for research or study without infringing copyright? (Fair Dealing)
  8. How do I search for free to reuse content?

Download an information sheet [PDF] or visit More Copyright FAQs.

Emerging practice: Students may consider using open access and creative commons resources in their works. These usually allow reuse and sharing without seeking further copyright holder's permission.

Print Disability Copyright Guidelines

The Copyright Act 1968 provides for a special copying licence for institutions assisting disabled students, in particular students with vision impairment. The Australian Copyright Council has produced Print Disability Copyright Guidelines which are available for download.

Under certain conditions, universities may be able to make sound recordings, Braille versions, large-print versions, translations and photographic/picture versions of literary or dramatic works for students, without infringing the copyright owner's rights.

However, the university must first make a reasonable investigation (i.e. contact the publishers/vendors) that no such version is commercially available within a reasonable time period at an ordinary commercial price.

All copies made for CQUniversity must be made by the Inclusion and Accessibility Service. Please contact for details.

Note: Students should make themselves familiar with the copyright-related policies at CQUniversity.