Central Queensland Conservatorium of Music (CQCM) is committed to making our university more accessible to our community. Our degrees open the door to career opportunities in Australia and overseas, preparing your students with the skills and knowledge to ensure your students are work-ready when they graduate.
We run a number of activities to engage high school students that will help prepare them for a music or theatre degree at CQUniversity. These activities:
- are fun, engaging and educational programs
- allow students to meet and work with CQCM staff and current students
- prepare students with the skills and knowledge to ensure they are work-ready when they graduate
- open the door to career opportunities in Australia and overseas.
Four key initiatives lead by the CQCM include:
- Conservatorium Academy
- Schools Jazz Festival
- Safety Circus
- Choices Applied Theatre Project
The Conservatorium Academy is a centre for creative and performing arts training for school-age children in Central Queensland.
Conservatorium Academy Aims
The aims of the Conservatorium Academy is to provide music and theatre training as an extension to the dance, drama and music classes that young people may already be engaged in and provides them with:
- opportunities to perform through regular concerts and special events in Mackay
- a bridge for secondary school students to university
- help to prepare them for auditions and for the rigours of university study
- a safe, educational and recreational environment, with high-energy, fun classes that are taught in a friendly and encouraging environment.
How to enrol your child
To enrol your child contact the Conservatorium Academy or phone +61 7 4940 7800.
Conservatorium Academy Website
For all fee, semester dates and class information please visit our website. http://www.conservatoriumacademy.com/
The Safety Circus Applied Theatre project is an award-winning project from CQCM in partnership with the Crime Prevention Unit of the Queensland Police Service. It is a 30-minute theatre show aimed at Year 3 students to teach them about personal safety, safety on non-motorised transport and dealing with bullying. Created by students and staff from CQCM, the Safety Circus tours to Mackay primary schools each year in February.