Diploma of Music Audition Guidelines
Thank you for choosing to audition for the Diploma of Music program at CQUniversity Australia. We want each and every applicant to play to the best of their ability on the audition day and trust that you will enjoy the audition preparation and presentation process. We have prepared the following audition guidelines to help you prepare for your audition.
The Diploma of Music program is available to study at CQUniversity's Mackay Ooralea or Cairns campus or online.
How to apply and entry requirements
If you have decided you would like to study the Diploma of Music and are ready to apply, we’re here to help you along the way.
How you apply is slightly different depending on where you would like to study, or if you have studied with CQUni previously. View the options below to find the best way to apply.
To gain entry into the Diploma of Music and study on campus you will need to apply to:
- the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) and
- complete and submit an online Audition Request Form to CQUniversity.
We have limited places available and your admission into this program will be based on how successful your audition and interview is.
To apply to study the Diploma of Music online, you will need to apply to:
- a Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC), based on where you live and
- complete and submit an online Audition Request Form to CQUniversity
View the table below for the best application option based on where you live.
|If you live in||Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC)|
|Queensland||Apply via QTAC|
|New South Wales||Apply via UTAC|
|Victoria||Apply via VTAC|
|South Australia||Apply via ApplyCQUni|
|Western Australia||Apply via ApplyCQUni|
|Northern Territory||Apply via ApplyCQUni|
|Tasmania||Apply via VTAC|
|Australian Capital Territory||Apply via UTAC|
You may be eligible to apply directly to CQUniversity provided you meet one of the following criteria:
- have completed or are completing a prescribed* CQUniversity course. (*A prescribed course includes our Skills for Tertiary Entrance Preparatory Studies (STEPS) program, Tertiary Entrance Program (TEP), Start Uni Now (SUN) initiative, or a CQUniversity certificate, diploma, advanced diploma, associate degree, bachelor degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, master or research higher degree.)
- are applying for a change of course or readmission.
How to prepare for your audition
To prepare for your audition you should arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled audition time to ensure you are adequately warmed-up.
You will also need to bring the following documents and extra copies for the audition panel:
- headshot photo
- curriculum vitae
- relevant certificates, licenses or diplomas (e.g. AMEB Grade certificates, RAD Dance certificates etc.)
- any evidence of community work or volunteer activities.
Ensure you place this information with copies in a folder for the audition panel to keep.
What we are looking for is:
- the potential for you to develop all aspects of music practice, both practical and theoretical
- your passion, commitment and suitability to a career in music and allied creative arts areas.
During the interview
During the interview, the panel will ask you how and why you wish to pursue a career in music and may also ask you questions based on your performance and any information from the documents you provided.
What will I need to perform at the audition?
Instrumentalist will need to:
- perform two contrasting pieces in any style.
- each piece needs to be no longer than 5 minutes.
Drummers will need to perform three contrasting grooves, in various tempos (slow, medium and fast), that must include at least one rock, jazz and Latin related style.
- rock ballad
- heavy metal
- bossa nova
- performing one solo drum piece of your own choice.
Vocalists will need to:
- perform two contrasting songs in any style.
- each song needs to be no longer than 3 minutes.