Bachelor of Theatre - Music Theatre Specialisation Audition Guidelines
Thank you for choosing to audition for the Bachelor of Theatre (Music Theatre) program at CQUniversity Australia. We want each and every applicant to perform to the best of their ability on the audition day and trust that you will enjoy the audition preparation and presentation process. We have prepared the following audition guidelines to help you prepare for your audition.
The Bachelor of Theatre (Music Theatre) program is only available at CQUniversity's Mackay Ooralea campus.
How to apply and entry requirements
To gain entry into the Bachelor of Theatre (Music Theatre) program you will need to apply to:
- the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) and
- complete and submit an online Audition Request Form to CQUniversity
We have limited places available and your admission into this program will be based on how successful your audition and interview is.
How to prepare for your audition
To prepare for your audition you should arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled audition time to ensure you are adequately warmed-up.
You will also need to bring the following documents and extra copies for the audition panel:
- medical certificate to state you are:
- fit and healthy
- have no pre-existing condition that may prevent you from doing any required medium to high aerobic dance and stage activities.
- have no pre-existing conditions that may affect your ability to sing or use your voice.
- headshot photo
- artistic resume
- relevant certificates, licenses or diplomas (e.g. AMEB Grade certificates, RAD Dance certificates etc.)
- any evidence of community work or volunteer activities.
Ensure you place this information with copies in a folder for the audition panel to keep.
What we are looking for is:
- The potential for you to develop all aspects of acting, singing and dance and be a performer who displays overt traits of imagination and courage to take artistic risks.
- whether you have a passion, commitment and suitability for a career in music theatre and allied performing arts areas
What will I need to perform at the audition?
You will be required to perform three elements for your audition which are to:
You will need to perform two contrasting songs from musicals. You can:
- use your own accompanist, or
- use suitable backing tracks recorded on a CD or iPod. Please bring along your own playback device.
You will need to perform from memory one contemporary monologue. The contemporary monologue must be:
- a selection from a modern play (anything written from the 1950s to the present day)
- no more than two minutes in length
You can find contemporary monologues in monologue books and play scripts. Some may be available on the Internet.
You will need to perform
a dance/movement routine. The dance routine must be:
- any dance style
- no more than 3 minutes long.
- you must provide your own pre-recorded accompaniment for the dance/movement routine and bring along your own playback device.