Central Queensland Conservatorium of Music (CQCM) accepts online auditions year round. The Conservatorium operates in Terms 1 and 2 of the university calendar only.
Applying for entry into one of Central Queensland Conservatorium of Music (CQCM) courses is a four-step process.
- Complete and submit a course application to the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC). QTAC is the key body that offers student places into Queensland universities.
- Complete and submit the online application form to the Conservatorium. Ensure you complete all boxes marked with a red asterisk (*) so we can process your application.
- Attend a live audition, or submit a YouTube audition.
- When you attend your audition you will need to bring a copy of your current artistic resume. For those applying for music, music theatre and drama specialisations you will also need to supply a doctor's certificate.
A Doctor's Medical Certificate is required for the Music Theatre and Drama specialisations of the Bachelor of Theatre degree and needs to state whether you:
- are fit and healthy
- have no pre-existing conditions that may prevent you from doing any required medium to high aerobic dance and stage activities
- have no pre-existing conditions that may affect your ability to sing or use your voice.
International students wanting to apply to CQCM must:
CQUniversity's Conservatorium of Music takes pride in its friendly atmosphere and helpful understanding staff. Our aim is to make the admission process as simple and straight forward as possible.
Most of the information we require in order to register you for an audition can be entered into the online application form. Pay careful attention to the boxes marked with a red asterisk (*), as your application cannot be processed without providing this important information. If you require assistance to complete the online application form please contact the Music and Theatre Administrator by email at email@example.com or phone +61 7 4940 7801.
In addition to completing an application to the Conservatorium, all applicants must also apply to the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC). QTAC governs the place offerings to courses at universities in Queensland.
After you complete your online application, if successful you will be contacted about presenting an audition or attending an interview.
If you are invited you will also need to bring the following documents and extra copies for the panel:
- headshot photo
- curriculum vitae
- relevant certificates, licenses or diplomas (e.g. AMEB Grade certificates, RAD Dance certificates)
- any evidence of community work or volunteer activities.
Ensure you place this information with copies in a folder for the audition panel to keep.
Please view our audition guidelines to assist with your preparation.
Online auditions are accepted for Term 1 and Term 2 intakes. In-person audition dates will be scheduled and advertised for Term 1 intake, Term 2 auditions can be arranged by appointment for Townsville and Mackay campuses by completing the registration form. To audition online, simply upload your audition to a YouTube channel.
To submit your audition via a YouTube channel you must ensure:
- Your audition is filmed in an appropriate rehearsal or performance space so you get the best quality image and sound.
- You are fully visible in the camera frame and your hand (instrumentalists) and torso (singers) are clearly visible.
- You begin the audition by giving your name, age and state why you want to study at CQUniversity in Australia.
- If you upload your audition to a YouTube channel you must email the link to audition administrator. All audition materials must meet the same requirements as in-person auditions.
Auditions for the Diploma of Music, Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of Theatre are now open. Register now to audition.
If you are interested in CQUniversity's Bachelor of Creative Arts, please visit cqu.edu.au/creativeperformingarts.
Applicants are notified of their audition results within three weeks of their audition.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There are no costs associated with applying for or completing an audition at CQUniversity.
You should arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled audition time.
The panel may interrupt your performance. This is not an indication of an unsatisfactory assessment, but due to the management of the audition process.
You are required to use your own accompanist and/or backing tracks.
You should bring the following (some of these may or may not be required depending upon what you present):
- sheet music
- accompanist or backing track
- CD player or iPod dock (if required)
- amplifier (if required)
- written information and documents for the interview
You should wear smart casual clothes.
If you apply and audition within the set audition period you will receive an audition results with three weeks of your audition. Late applicants will receive results 1 to 2 weeks after their audition or online submission.
You should only use a prop if it's essential to the performance requirements of the monologue.
If you are unable to attend your scheduled audition contact the Audition Administrator to request a change of time. If a new time is not available you will have the option of submitting an online audition.