Breadcrumb Links:

How to Apply

Whatever you want to be and wherever you want to study there's a place for you at CQUniversity Australia. Now is the time to kick off your application for 2014. Depending on what type of student you are, and what level of study that you wish to pursue and which campus you would like to study at, there is a different application process. You'll find all the possibilities covered below.

A new era in education and training is on its way. CQUniversity and CQ TAFE plan to merge on 1 July 2014.* CQUniversity is set to become a more comprehensive university offering a wider choice of programs and qualifications with seamless pathways into further study. Our new line up will include more than 300 options from short courses, certificates and diplomas to undergraduate, postgraduate and research higher degrees.

Although there are exceptions, the common application process for domestic students applying for undergraduate program is as follows:   

  • Queensland Campuses - apply through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC).
  • Sydney Campus - apply through the Univeristies Admission Centre (UAC).
  • Melbourne Campus - apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).

If you run into any problems or have any queries, please give our Student Admission team a call on:

For enquiries and to apply for CQ TAFE courses, prior to 1 July 2014, call 1300 CQ TAFE (1300 27 8233).

For enquiries and to apply for Train@ CQUniversity courses visit

Support is also available from your relevant Tertiary Admissions Centres (TAC) (where applicable):

  • QTAC 1300 GO QTAC (1300 467 822) AEST, 8.30am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday (AEST)
  • UAC 02 9752 0200 (8.30am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday (AEDST))
  • VTAC 1300 364 133 (9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday (AEDST)

We look forward to welcoming you to CQUniversity in 2014.

* On 11 September 2013 the Queensland Government signed an agreement with CQUniversity to merge the University with CQ TAFE to create Queensland's first dual sector university. It is anticipated that CQUniversity will commence operating as a dual sector university from 1 July 2014. Please visit for more details.

School Leavers

You are considered a current school leaver if you are:

  • completing Year 12 in Queensland, New South Wales or Victoria in 2013, even if you are repeating or are not OP/ATAR eligible;
  • an interstate year 12 student in 2013; or
  • completing an International Baccalaureate (IB) in Australia, Fiji and New Zealand.

School leavers can lodge applications to study undergraduate programs through QTAC, UAC or VTAC to study in Queensland, New South Wales, or Victoria respectively. Throughout Year 12 your school should be providing information and assistance to you in regards to lodging your application. Please contact 13CQUni (13 27 86) if you need assistance with your application.

Visit the School Leaver - how to apply section for more details.

Non-School Leavers

You are considered a non-Year 12 applicant if you are:

  • studying an overseas Year 12 qualification, NCEA in New Zealand; or
  • already studying at a tertiary institution and want to apply for a program at another institution; or
  • using alternative entry qualifications to be considered for tertiary entrance, current TAFE student; or
  • completing senior external examination subjects or Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation; or
  • completed Year 12 in any year other than the current year.

All non-Year 12 applicants apply through their relevant Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC, UAC, VTAC).

More information on the Queensland application process can be found at the QTAC website via their non-school leaver section.

Applications for enabling programs such as STEPS and TEP are to be made directly to the University, download the application form here; STEPS, TEP

If it has been sometime since you studied at school and you are now wishing to undertake tertiary studies at CQUniversity, like a school leaver, you will be required to meet the minimum entry requirements for your chosen program. Your entry requirements could take into consideration prerequisite study that is required and also relevant qualifications and/or work experience, but will need to be assessed on application.

There are additional alternative methods to satisfy your entry requirements which could the STAT (Special Tertiary Admissions Test), or PCA (Personal Competencies Assessment), however successful completion of these will not necessarily guarantee entry.  

Find out more about how to apply if you are a non-Year 12 applicant

Research Higher Degrees

For admission to a research higher degree you must complete the Application for Admission as a Research Higher Degree Candidate form available HERE, and must include certified documentary evidence of:

  • citizenship status;
  • academic qualifications; and
  • a brief outline of the proposed research project.

It is useful to find a suitable supervisor before you submit your application. To find a potential supervisor, visit and navigate to 'Research Expertise ' or email the CQUniversity Office of Research on

Find out more about what you can study.

Postgraduate and Honours Students

Entry to most postgraduate degrees requires the minimum of a Bachelor's degree, but for some programs your previous work experience or prior learning will meet entry requirements. Other programs require previous study in specialised areas or relevant work experience.

You can also apply via our Online application

The postgraduate online application for admissions process will take about 10 to 15 minutes to complete and will include the following steps:

  1. Answering two short questions to determine if you can use the online application process;
  2. Selecting the program, campus and admission term that you would like to apply for;
  3. Providing personal details, education history and employment history; and
  4. Submitting your application, at which point you will see a coversheet detailing the supporting information that you will need to supply to CQUniversity in order to complete your application. You will need to submit this information within 14 days for your application to be considered.

Find out more about applying for postgraduate study at CQUniversity.

Alternative Pathways with CQUniversity

Sometimes people find that they don't meet the basic prerequisites to study a program at CQUniversity. This does not mean that you have missed the chance to study your desired program as there are alternative pathways available to you to gain access to university. By completing one of our enabling programs you will not only have the opportunity to complete studies in the prerequisite areas but also to gain knowledge and confidence in academic writing and essential language and communication skills. All the enabling programs are completely free* and can be completed in as little as 13 weeks, and upon successful completion our programs will provide you with Direct Entry into your desired program at CQUniversity.**

Find out more about our suite of enabling programs.

Alternatively if you are ready to apply for STEPs, download the application form here

* Text books and course materials must be covered by the individual student
** Provided you have met prerequisites and entry requirements.

SUN (Start Uni Now)

SUN (Start Uni Now) is a CQUniversity initiative that allows Year 11 and 12 students to study CQUniversity courses while still in high school. Entry into the SUN (Start Uni Now program) is made directly through CQUniversity. Each applicant must ensure they are eligible to apply before seeking a place in the program.

To find out more about SUN, click here.

International Applicants

For admission into CQUniversity's International programs, international applicants must satisfy English language proficiency and academic requirements.

Entry requirements vary depending on the program and may depend on your academic performance, and, in some instances relevant work experience. You must provide evidence of your qualifications from a recognised institution. Independent of this, the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) sets requirements for students to obtain a student visa. At the time of writing, international student applicants from countries determined by DIAC to be Assessment Levels 3 and 4 must provide a satisfactory Academic IELTS test score when applying for a student visa.

For more information go to our Future International Students page

Single Non-Award

This category of admission is used for those students who wish to undertake a course to update or expand their knowledge in a specific area without committing themselves to an entire program of study.

To be admitted, an applicant must satisfy the entry and pre-requisite requirements for admission to the program from which the course or courses are drawn. Information on application procedures and available courses may be obtained by calling the Student Contact Centre on 13CQUni (132786) or email us at An application is valid for one year only.

Students who wish to take further courses in subsequent years are required to apply again to study those courses.

Applicants seeking admission can do so by downloading the Single Non-Award application form.

Cross Institutional

Students enrolled in undergraduate or coursework postgraduate programs at other tertiary institutions may apply to undertake CQUniversity courses for credit towards their award programs. This category of admission is termed cross-institutional enrolment. Information on application procedures for cross-institutional enrolment may be obtained by calling the Student Contact Centre on 13CQUni (132786) or email us at

A letter of approval for the course(s) selected from the student's home institution must accompany the application.

An application of cross-institutional enrolment applies only to one academic year. Students wishing to continue their enrolment into subsequent academic years must apply again in full.

Cross-institutional students who are Commonwealth supported students at their home institution are eligible to enroll as Commonwealth supported students for their studies at CQUniversity. Postgraduate full fee-paying students are able to access FEE-HELP if they are accessing FEE-HELP at their home institution. However, any Commonwealth supported student who chooses to enroll in a course that is offered only on a full fee-paying basis at CQUniversity eg a postgraduate courses, will be required to pay the full fee. They may be eligible to access FEE-HELP for that fee.

Applicants seeking admission can do so by downloading the Cross Institutional application form.

Credit Transfers

If you have undertaken study in the last ten years, you may be eligible for credit towards your CQUniversity degree. Please ensure you consult the Course Credit Policy, Principles and Procedures for further information prior to submitting your application.

To apply for course credit, you will need to download and complete the Application for Course Credit Form and submit it along with the following documentation:

  • a certified graded transcript
  • course outlines for each course for which you are requesting credit

TAFE/VET Credit Transfer Process

If you have studied at TAFE you need to provide the following:

Please note that credit is only granted for qualifications at Diploma level and higher.  No credit is awarded for Certificate levels.

International Universities/Institutions Credit Transfer Process

If you have studied at a University or Institution outside of Australia, you need to provide the following:

  • Application for Credit Transfer Form; AND
  • Certified graded transcript with grade explanations; AND
  • Course outlines for each course for which you are requesting credit; AND
  • Program Information that includes program duration and number of courses required; AND
  • University/Insitution details that include name and location.

Please ensure that all documentation provided is official and translated into English.