Jabber Video Desktop Videoconferencing
What is Jabber Video?
Jabber Video is the desktop videoconferencing application that has been selected for desktop and mobile videoconferencing for staff.
Jabber Video is a high quality video collaboration tool that will allow you to:
- Connect to other Jabber Video users
- Connect to CQUniversity videoconference boardrooms, ISL rooms, EX60/EX90s
- Connect to people/videoconference rooms outside CQUniversity/in other organisations.
- Present desktop to a remote audience and vice versa.
How do I get up and running?
- Request access to Jabber Video
- Purchase and install a supported web camera and headset or microphone
- Installation Instructions
- Use the various support resources (links below) to get up and running
1. Request access to Jabber Video
Submit a Service Request or contact the ITD ServiceDesk.
To access Jabber Video, staff must provide the following information:
- Building and Room number
- Windows or Mac
- Host name of your computer (found on the red “Property of CQU”) sticker
- Contact phone number
Once a license for Jabber Video has been granted, staff will be able to install the software. Please refer to section 3 for installation instructions.
2. Purchase and install a supported web camera and headset or microphone
To use Jabber Video, a High-Definition Webcam and a Headset or Speaker/Microphone will need to be purchased.
This equipment is available for purchase via the Bookshop.
The following models are approved for use, and have been selected to be compatible with University computer equipment & to provide a high-quality videoconferencing results:
- Microsoft LifeCam Studio (Approx. $99)
- Logitech USB Headset H530 (approx.$60)
- Jabra Speakerphone Speak 410 (approx.$145)
3. Installation Instructions
On campus staff
- Windows – Please click here for the installation guide for Windows computers
- Mac – Please click here for the installation guide for Mac computers
- iPad - Please click here for the installation guide for iPads
Off campus staff
Staff working off campus can install and use Jabber video at home. To download a copy of the software you will need to complete the steps below. Please note you will be required to sign in using your CQUniversity details.
- Click on either the Windows or Mac link below to start the download (exe file)
- Click Run.
- A completed message will appear once installed.
- When signing in at home you will still need to use your CQUniversity login
- Refer to the relevant user guide for more information on using Jabber at home.
Windows - Click here to download
Mac - Click here for installation instructions. Click here to download
Staff are able to connect to Jabber Video users outside the organisation. To do this, users external to CQUniversity will need to have a Jabber Video account. For more information on creating an account and instructions for use please refer to the Jabber Video for External Users Guide.
Note: Some users may encounter an error that relates to Video Drivers (Open GL). You may need to update your computers video drivers or alternatively attempt to install on another computer.
4. Support Resources
If you have any questions related to Jabber or require technical support please contact the ITD Service Desk x9233.
The following Factsheets are also available to help you use and install Jabber: